The guys keep me insanely busy ... and part of that running to various scouting events. I do have to admit that I run a lot less than I used too because as of September they are all in the same scout troop. But ... quite a bit of free time is used up keeping them straight with the event dates, getting their clothes together for campouts, and processing paperwork ... and that's just for the scouting thing. There is a lot more to it as you all know.
This year I did something I haven't done in years ... let someone convince me to sew costumes for the other kids too. Fall Camporee this year had an interesting twist. The boys were supposed to participate in the creation of a trebuchet that would chuck a punkin. I won't go into the details of it all. I will just say that our troops was the biggest, threw the farthest and was the most accurate. To make the experience more authentic, the boys were encouraged to wear Renaissance period clothing.
The task started like this ... which is I am sure is a familiar experience and not unique to me.
1. Scout Dad asks if I will organize a sewing event for the Mom's to make costumes. (Ugh). 2. Once agreed ... I was then informed that the scouts would be expected to cut and sew their own costumes. (You have got to be kidding me!) 3. After planning the type of costume that would need to be made and determining that the fabric requirements would need to stay around 3 1/2 yards of fabric (yeah.. .that's right sewing Mom's ... think about that) it was then announced that no extra money would be available to pay for fabric. 4. It was suggested that a donation for the costume be collected from the parents and another mother (who I will point out made all these suggestions and then was no where around when the actual process was expected to start) suggested that costumes could be purchased for about $10 on the internet that would meet the requirements and that sewing would be a nightmare.
FAST FORWARD a couple of weeks ... THERE ARE NO COSTUMES FOR ANYTHING ON THE INTERNET AVAILABLE IN THE AMOUNT OF $10 that would serve this purpose ... so ... THANKS MRS. KNOW-IT-ALL. I found some awesome fabric in my stash I bought wholesale. Suggested to the Dad that the sewing would be a nightmare with kids and there wasn't enough time. Parents were not motivated so 6 random kids paid me $10 each to make something (cloak, shirt, kilt... etc).
I DID! I donated the time and fabric. A week early ... with one week left to make the costumes for my own kids. Of course, I spent a small fortune on my guys. I also, due to a business conflict, was unable to attend the event and see the kids in their costumes.
Of course I am unable to post pictures of the other kids ... but here is a shot that my lovely friend Donna took of my guys in their costumes. Which gives you an idea of just how much they have grown ... and how much they eat.
Some of the pieces were not worn (despite the expense and effort) because it was too cold but I am certain they will get used some time. They turned out pretty great and all the kids were happy.