The Family Estate

The Family Estate

Thursday, October 16, 2008

Back to the Fun Stuff

Greetings fellow bloggers. I have been away for awhile. The boys started school and cub scouts has been a nightmare (Hubby is CubMaster for the pack and I am "Advancements Chair"). Sounds like a very important title. It just means that I run everything behind the scenes and take orders from a demanding boss. But it's all for the boys. Hopefully someday they will show their appreciation because right now I feel a little like a rented mule. I did have a chance to visit the annual Sewing Expo in Chantilly, VA with some friends and had a nice day. Other than that not much on the sewing front.

The only sewing getting done in the loft in the past two weeks is a project that I am working on with a friend of mine. My friend C's husband, who works in Cardiovascular Surgery at the hospital wanted to make a quilt for the wife of his friend that just passed away from a terminal Cancer. They were friends and business partners for 20 years. His only caveat was that he wanted to make it himself. I thought it was a noble cause and so I have been teaching him how to quilt in the loft for the last two weeks. He has done a wonderful job and the quilt top is complete. Now we are working on a special surprise on the back (here is where I come in as a designer). I will have to post photos later. I have been so busy with scouts that it is draining my brain cells and I haven't been documenting his progress.

I did get out yesterday to the local quilt shop where I teach here in Fredericksburg, VA and where you can find my patterns for sale if you happen to be dropping by or traveling through.


I wanted to take a photo for a Blogland friend of this quilt that I made from Pieces From My Heart. It's called Trees Up, Lights On. It has been hanging in the store for months as a sample for the class. My friend Liz is teaching this class.


Here is a photo of Liz's sample as well. Her quilt was coming down today. She is entering her quilt in our Guild's Quilt Show (which is a spectacular show by the way). She said yesterday that her entry form said the quilt was embellished so she had to take it down and quickly embellish it before the show. Our friend Ledra, one of the shops owners said, "The only thing on that quilt that was embellished was the entry form." I think Liz is going to put these little beads on it that look like strings of lights. I can't wait to see it when she's finished. This quilt is pieced similar to the Buggy Barn patterns that my Blogland Friend Kim is making. (Kim's Big Quilting Adventure)


I did purchase a great new pattern at the shop called "Witches Brew" by Seams Like Home which has a painted face. I've never done that before. I thought maybe I should make some Halloween Quilts.


Isn't she cute? I am gonna start working on her as soon as I fold that giant pile of laundry behind her that she's leaning against. I will have to take some more photos of some of the other things that I have been working on the past few weeks. Not much but they are rather pretty. It feels good to be back in the swing of things. Tomorrow I leave for a nice girl trip away. I am traveling through the Annual Virginia Tour de Quilt with a friend for the weekend. We are celebrating October (which is my birthday month). I feel it takes a whole month to really celebrate a birthday in style. This month I have purchased a "new-to-me" sewing machine from a fellow stitcher (a Bernina 730 with machine embroidery). Don't get too jealous... she is buying a new Bernina 830 with embroidery. I also purchased some new embroidery designs at the Sewing and Quilting Expo. So... what better way to top off the birthday than a trip across Virginia with a girlfriend (or maybe two). It's gonna be so nice. I will have a Starbuck's card and a camera and I plan to document the trip as best as I can to post here so that you can go with me. It's my goal to completely fill my Tour de Quilt Passport and try to win lots of great prizes. I hear it's lots of fun. I will be back. Maybe we can chat about it over coffee. See you soon.
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Kim said...

Your witch pattern looks like fun! It's good to try new things--like the Buggy Barn pattern I've tried out! LOL! I picked out a few fat quarters at the quilt show today for the Trees Up, Lights On quilt I plan to make, and I'm leaning toward the lighter greens and brighter reds you used. I made a few things with those shades last year, and they feel much happier than the more traditional reds and greens. I hope you're having a wonderful time at the shop hop and winning a lot!