The Family Estate

The Family Estate

Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Miniature Challenge

UFO Progress Report
Today I was able to get one more block done on the Women's Voices Quilt. The mate to it is still on the sewing table. I got the half-square triangles pieced but just got too tired to complete the rest. I finished a small patriotic wallhanging top that I found in the UFO stash. I didn't take a photo of it. I will have to save that photo for tomorrow night but I was able to quilt and bind it and add a hanging sleeve on the back.

I decided that I would join the Guild's Miniature Quilt Challenge which is due at the Quilt Show in October. I have been looking for the right project to complete for the challenge. I have a small wool wallhanging that I still plan to complete for the show but I found this picture in a miniature book. It was the easiest paper-pieced thing that I could find.

So I decided to dump out a basket of scraps and start picking some fabrics to make it. I also decided that I would only use red scraps. Not because the picture was red but because when I started pulling out fabrics that I liked I had a giant pile of red fabrics. Why not. So I pieced all the blocks and then without looking at the pattern I pieced the whole quilt in about a day and a half. Then I layered and quilted it (somehow breaking four needles in the process from the thickness). And in an effort to finish it I put the binding on. Then I took this photo of the quilt for the blog. It was then that I realized that something didn't quite look right. SO.... Here is my miniature for the challenge. You can look at the photo and then look at the quilt and you tell me what you think.

Like it or not... this is it. I am not remaking it. It might not be perfect but neither am I. I like it anyway and it looks really nice on my wall. It brings the show-n-tell count for Monday night to five projects including two full-sized quilts which isn't bad if you ask me. Of course I will have to quit piecing to get ready for cleaning house tomorrow and "meet the teacher" day at school on Friday. The big Raingutter Regatta is Saturday and the littlest boys and I are going to be making boats together and swimming in the pool so it should be a good day. I may get to spend more time in the loft before the week is out and I might even finish something else. Just as long as I don't disturb Duncan's nap. He climbed onto the scraps almost the minute I dumped the basket on the floor. Somtimes he acts just like a cat.

Happy Quilting!
Posted by Picasa

No comments: