The Family Estate

The Family Estate

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Small Victories!

I finally finished hubby's quilt. I mentioned earlier in the month about our Guild's UFO challange. I decided to enter with Hubby's House Quilt. I wanted to make something nice for hubby as a celebration of his efforts rebuilding our home after a catastrophic fire. I found the perfect pattern. Nice and primitive, hand done and interesting. It's a BOM called By Wisdom a House is Built. I started working on it in 2004. I don't know what happened. One day I just got bored with it and put it in a project box and didn't take it out again.

Recently I was harrassing hubby on the extensive list of unfinished projects around the house and he mentioned that he picked out one quilt and I picked out another that I was going to do for him and he hasn't seen either one in years so... pot calling the kettle black and all... touche monsieur pussycat.

I dug it out and spent the last week completing it at night while watching the Olympics. I just took it yesterday to the Quilter Extraordinare and hopefully it will come back to me before the Guild Quilt Show in October. I hope it wins. Can't wait.
Below is the best picture I could get of the top. The blocks are hand embroidered and hand-appliqued using the ragged edge applique method. It's supposed to rag up a bit and look primitive. (I guess I will wash it before I put it in the show.) The background blocks are hand-stitched to the sashing blocks using a perle cotton running stitch. I think QE will quilt it with a stipple stitch since there is so much that needs to be worked around. It's very heavy and will be very warm. Hubby loves it. SUCCESS!

I am very proud of this quilt and hope you enjoy looking at it.
Happy Quilting and thanks for stopping by.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: