The Family Estate

The Family Estate

Saturday, August 16, 2008

A Baby Bird Leaves the Nest (a little...)

Today my oldest left me. Well… not like many of your children. He’s ten so he only left me for a week but it feels like empty nest syndrome. The mother of one of his friends called me about a week and a half ago and said she was going to Myrtle Beach with her two kids for a week and wanted to take BIG BOY with them on their family vacation to keep her son occupied.
I was floored. Immediately I thought NO WAY, JOSE! But then I thought about how long I had known their family, and how unfair that would be for my son. I spoke to hubby about it and he decided that we should give him permission to go. I WAS OVERRULED. OK fine. I will let him go.



I woke up this morning (a Saturday mind you) at 6am to begin packing his things because I could not bring myself to do it before then. I washed clothes all day the day before so that his laundry would be clean. He’s been on overnight’s before but never on vacation for a week without me. I made them promise to let him call me every night and he has to follow all my rules including wearing a life jacket if he goes in the ocean. Everyone agreed.
I decided to do the same thing I did the first day he got on the bus for kindergarten and just keep myself insanely busy all day so that I didn’t notice that he wasn’t there. I didn’t want to worry. I know that he’ll be fine. I know that if I took someone’s kid with us on vacation I would certainly make sure that I watched that kid better than my own. I didn’t think it would be fair to either of us to be one of those mother’s who worries so much that she makes herself sick or never lets her kids go anywhere.
So in an effort to stay busy I decided to work on the hexagon quilt all day. I was still struggling with the idea for making the additional blocks since I didn’t have enough fabric to do what the pattern called for. I still didn’t like the look of the alternating blocks. It just wasn’t the look I was going for. So… I spent the time moving the blocks around on the design wall until I found something that I liked. I figured out exactly how many more triangles that I need to cut out. Once all the pieces were cut and the hexagon pieces were together and laid out, I began to piece each row together.
After the rows were together I stopped to eat something because I had suddenly gotten hungry. No wonder. I had quilted until 4 o’clock. Hubby suggested that we take the other boys out to the Japanese Steak House for dinner. We had lovely time and then got back in time to watch more Olympics on the tele. I went straight up to the loft and finished piecing the entire quilt top. And then I laid out all the remaining triangles into an interesting pattern to put on the back (afterall, when will I ever use triangles of this fabric ever again). I am mixing them with muslin triangles and thought I would make a tumbling block for the back. It will look great. I will work on that tomorrow.



He called this evening as promised. They got there safely and they had already gone to the beach. He sounds like he’s having a blast. I am so glad that I let him go. We will all be just fine. And think of all the “I’m not worrying” work I will get done while he’s away. And… just in case everyone is wondering… I would call the Merry-Go-Round Quilt about a 2-3 day quilt depending on how fast you sew and how much determination you have to complete it. Today I was quite determined. Can’t wait to show it off next Monday.


And last but not least Little Brat wanted to get into the picture of my quilt. I am only sorry that I accidently cut his feet out the picture because he walked over in one shoe and one slipper. I saw a young teenager tonight (an otherwise nice looking kid) with these stretching disks stuck in his ears. I made a remark to hubby about how awful it looked and why his mother would let me him do that to himself. It's not like getting a piercing. We both agreed that Little Brat will definately the kid that's gonna do stuf like that just to piss us off. If he were a little girl he would've worn a feather boa to dinner. Guaranteed.
Happy Quilting!

Posted by Picasa

No comments: