The Family Estate

The Family Estate

Sunday, October 19, 2008

Shop #10: Around the bend, across the creek... to Millstone Quilts!

Lucy and I were following the Tom Tom along a pretty decent highway... and then all of sudden he took us to the right and I couldn't believe it. We were on another winding road in the middle of nowhere. I was of course concerned... it reminded me of late last night trying to find a hotel in the dark. The Tom Tom said we were here... but I didn't see anything. We drove about a 1/4 mile down the road and ... there she was... the old grist mill, the next clue... "a bridge not over troubled water" and my favorite shop on the Tour... Millstone Quilts.Everything about this shop was quaint and perfect... including this sign. It directs you to the swimming hole and the picnic area and warns you of the attack cat on the premises.
The tone of this shop was set the minute I walked in the door and read all the signs. For instance, there is a warning to customers who lose their temper. The sign says, "Don't get your tinsel in a tangle." And there's another warning to the employees to "Measure twice and cut once". Here is one of the quilt projects they made from the Tour fabrics. Nine Patch Jewels was selling as a kit at the store.
At this shop there is an abundance of friendly conversation and smiling faces. Here is the store's Tour Quilt. I think this is my favorite of all the tour quilts. I don't think the photo does it justice. They added other fabrics into the quilt. I love the scrappy look.
The best part about being at the store was the chance to meet "the Wizard". Clearly the sign says that only employees are allowed behind this counter. The sign above is hard to read but states, "Nobody gets in to see the wizard, not nobody, not no how!" A voice says, "Pay no attention to the woman behind the curtain." Of course, that voice belonged to none other than Regina Simmons, the owner of this adorable place nestled by the creek. What a delight it was meeting Miss Regina.
Meeting this staff was really great. Southern hospitality abounds here at the Mill. There are three floors of delicious cotton delights. They specialize in Civil War Repros, Thimbleberries and 1930's fabrics... and I understand that they host an outdoor customer quilt show every spring. This photo is the middle floor and you can see the third floor loft above. As you can see there are surprises everywhere you turn.
Here is the stairwell between the first and second floors. I just couldn't get enough of this awesome place.
Here is Miss Regina helping a customer in the 1930's floor. All the ladies have these great aprons on that tell their names so you know who you're talking too. We found the 2nd clue "the johnny reb rifle" in the Civil War room.
Here is another great quilt that was made from the Tour fabrics. This one hangs behind the counter on the way to check out. I had so much fun with the ladies at this shop. We laughed and talked and I couldn't wait to come back. As a matter of fact, even though this shop is not the closest to my house, Lucy and I decided to make it our pick up shop for prizes should we win anything.
Miss Vicky made the free pattern from the shop which was a wine and cheese holder. Of course she made it out of the Tour fabrics. Below is the take home from Millstone. I think I was restrained considering I could have completely moved in to this store. It reminded me very much of home... since I live in a log cabin and the shop was almost the same. I found some really great civil war fabrics, a few cream, red and blue fabrics for the pillow shams and a couple fabrics for my Halloween collection.
Here is a nice little fat quarter bundle the girls at the shop gave me as my free Tour gift. Lucy got one too. It's almost like they read my mind and knew I loved homespuns.
I really had trouble containing myself at this shop. I know Lucy needed to be drug away as well. We both made promises that we would be back many times and pledged our allegiance to the cotton flags.
Grand Total at Millstone Quilts: $74.51
Only one more stop on the Tour... a little piece of Oriental heaven... and you'll have to wait and see. Come along north to Ashland and get the last stamp in the passport.

Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

Lady of the Cloth said...

I think I want to move to your state. I live in SW Washington State and we are losing quilt shops like crazy. Only 2 left in Vancouver and one of them has a psycho owner so you have to somehow find out when she isn't there and then shop. I don't bother anymore.
I love your blog, BTW. Thanks for sharing. I also raised boys. Gotta love them, they are so out front! Mine are grown now and I have wonderful grandsons. We couldn't buy a girl.
Carline