The Family Estate

The Family Estate

Thursday, November 20, 2008

Tuesday Madness

Not so often, when my Hubby gets up to go to work in the morning, does he wake me. Usually I wake up on my own about 15 minutes after he leaves for work to find a hot cup of coffee next to me on the dresser. (That's right ladies... I have it real rough). Tuesday morning did not start off like every other morning. I don't know why I rolled over and opened one eye. Those with kids know this... sometimes things just don't seem right. Through my one sleepy eye I see Hubby (who is color blind and fashion challenged) staring at himself in the mirror and checking out his shirt.
That morning he opened up his fresh dry clean bag and pulled out a shirt. He put it on and it just didn't feel right. Well for one thing it was about a size and a half too big. It also looked like this...

Now I, of course, do not mean to criticize anyone's sense of fashion. I do know this... my Hubby does not smoke and hates shirts with embroidery on the pocket. So I don't think I ever would have picked out a shirt with a smiley face in a cowboy hat, smoking a cigar and reading the paper. But being the good husband that he is... he just stared at it in the mirror. I think he was trying to imagine in what drunken state I had purchased this shirt... or why I had purchased this shirt... or (more importantly) did I purchase this shirt. But he couldn't quite bring himself to wake me up and ask me.
Even through one sleepy eye I said, "Where did you get that shirt?" Of course he indicated immediately that he was thinking of asking me the same question. After a few minutes of fumbling around looking through the dry cleaning plastic, we realize that somehow I came home with someone else's dry cleaning. I had also paid for 10 shirts but only received 8. The most interesting thing about it was that half of the shirts in the bag looked like his and were probably his size. Of course he was incensed... convinced that the dry cleaners had somehow made off with all his good Tommy Hilfiger's and Burberry's (not that he would have any clue what any of that means but he knows I don't buy him cheap clothes)... like some bizarro episode of Seinfeld... the dry cleaner had given him freebies in exchange for his french cuff suit shirts.
I am only sharing this story as an amusing warning for all wives who drop off and pick up shirts as though you were taking them to your own laundry room. You have to keep your receipt. I have never had to do battle with the dry cleaner. And I have to say, it wasn't really a battle at all. I called them and they had in fact given me the wrong bag by mistake. Hubby's shirts were still hanging neatly there when I arrived. They were very apologetic and embarrased. That being said... I have to say ladies... I do all of the shopping and dry cleaning and laundry and I think I am pretty sure I know my husband wardrobe... UNTIL... you have to pick out your own husband's shirts in the dry cleaning lineup. I felt like a completely useless witness on one of those crime dramas on TV. You know the one where the witness says, "That could be him but I don't quite remember... his hair looks a little different and it was really dark." That's what will happen. I have watched the racks turn at the drycleaners and I can tell you that ever third bag looked like ours. *Note to self*... don't buy Hubby's shirts at COSTCO. All of our laundry is now beginning to look alike... and no matter how good the drycleaners are... CHECK the bag. As Hubby always tells me "TRUST BUT VERIFY". If I had my receipt I would have realized right away that I was shorted two shirts. It's a good thing he put on "Mr. Happy cigar face first" or we might not have known at all.
Despite the stress of the day it was actually ended quite fantastically. When I arrived home and retrieved the mail I find a packeg for me. It was all the Charlaine Harris books that I had ordered. YEAH!

I finished the first book right away within the first day and thought I would buy the rest of the series to save myself the wait (through a used Amazon bookseller of course). The 2nd (Living Dead in Dallas) is here. I would love to tell you that I savored the book and took my time like I said I would but I didn't. I read it that afternoon and completed it the next morning before the kids got on the schoolbus.
So I picked up the third book and read that one too. I closed the cover on book 3 (Club Dead) on Wednesday morning... just in time to plan our CubScouts events on Wednesday night and turn in all popcorn orders.

Hope everyone is having a less stressful week. Hope they aren't getting too worked up over Thanksgiving. It's just a holiday. Thursday is the FQ sale at Millstone and I plan to tell you all about it. I have a surprise to report as well. Stay Tuned!
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

MichelleB said...

"I do all of the . . . dry cleaning and laundry" Oh my goodness. Aren't you good. Not me. I think my husband knows that if he wants it done, he needs to do it himself. I would do it, evenutally, maybe.