The Family Estate

The Family Estate

Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Our Pack Expands by Two

Many of you do not know this but November of last year my husband and I (and the boys I suppose) lost a very beloved family member to old age. Hubby and I adopted a neglected 11 month old Chesapeake Bay Retriever from a bad situation and she was our first baby together. Well that little girl grew up to be a true "Man's Best Friend" (and woman's too). She mothered my young and protected our family until she passed away at the ripe old age of 14 1/2. Not a bad life. Before she passed I adopted a tiny West Highland White Terrier puppy that I named Duncan who is now my right hand. Duncan has a sister, a very eldery Black Lab mix named Kelly that came to us as a stray at 6 months old. She is now 13 years old and hardly getting around anymore.
My husband realized this month that it had been more than a year since our beloved Ally passed away and has been thinking of adopting (or purchasing rather) a Chesapeake Bay puppy for Christmas. I have to say I was against it. Another puppy in the house... yeesh! But I didn't want to lose another elderly dog and leave my poor terrier alone in the house. Not a good idea for terriers anyway even though my little guy is a social animal and loves visitors.
Last week hubby made a stop at the local animal shelter and didn't really connect with anyone there of the canine persuasion. He was searching on the internet at the local animal shelters. He finally found an ad for a 3-yr. old female Chesapeake Bay Retriever that needed a good home. She was not at the shelter but was a courtesy listing for a local couple about 30 minutes from us. He made the call to go and see her to see if she would fit in with our family. We actually prefer adoption anyway and like working with a slightly older dog. He left a message and waited to hear back.
Meanwhile, back at the Cabin, I was on my way to Big Boy's soccer game on Saturday and saw a man in a minivan by the side of the road with a sign that said "Lab Pups for Sale". I prefer my labs of the Chocolate persuasion (who wouldn't) and I decided to stop and see what he had. Of course it did occur to me that a single woman stopping to look into the back of a minivan at some guy's puppies might have been some sort of trap but being the naive idiot that I am I stopped anyway.
They did have one little chocolate lab puppy (male) of the litter and he had the most gorgeous yellow/green eyes that I had ever seen. I fell in love. I told the guy then and there that I would love to take him. I would call later and see if my husband would come with me to pick him up.
Of course, later that day just before we went to get the puppy, the lady with the Chesapeake Bay called to see if we would love to come out and see her. My husband, having not really known of my committment said we would love to come and see her and made an appointment. The couple was very glad because considering our story and our circumstances we sounded like the perfect family to adopt her.
OK... this story is getting long... I will get to the point. My husband drove us out to King George and took one look at "Brandy" and fell in love with her. He adopted her on the spot. Did I mention that she weighs about 100 pounds. She resembles a small pony with the same gallup. We drove all the way with this poor unsuspecting dog and set her up with a coming place to lay. In the meantime, I am trying to figure out what I am going to do about this puppy. I came clean to hubby and he said we could adopt them both. It's just slightly insane but we just couldn't decide.
So by Monday afternoon we had TWO new dogs. One made her giant self at home by sleeping in the center of my bed. I think she very quickly adopted us too. The other one is a tiny ball of cuteness that cannot be denied. Not by the adults, the boys or the other dogs. My little Duncan has adopted him as him own particular playmate and Brandy has adopted everyone as her pups. So we may very well be completely and undeniably INSANE but our little pack has increased by two and we can't be happier.
Thought I would share the story and a couple of photos of the new KIDS and explain why blogging is taking so long these days. Right now we are all napping on the bed and the two new ones are dreaming so they are barking a little in their sleep. I hope they are dreaming good dreams of their new family.
Here is Brandy the big dog. She looks remarkable like our old girl and has much the same personality.

What a regal princess.

Here's the handsome Prince that I have named Chocolate Chip Charley. Hubby likes the name Chip but I think he looks like a Charley.

Could you have left this little face behind? I couldn't! I was sold. Hubby thinks he makes sounds like a baby Grissley Bear when he sleeps. What can I say... just like my own little boys.... He had me at HELLO!
Posted by Picasa

2 comments:

MichelleB said...

You are a brave, brave woman (says the woman with 3 cats and 2 dogs). We have a Cairn Terrier named Duncan that looks a lot like your Westie. But my little love is my Chihuahua. What can I say, I like them little.

Kim said...

No wonder you've been busy! LOL! Well, I know you were busy before, but now . . . ! What a sweet puppy! Nope, I don't think I could resist--and that's probably why I try not to look at puppies! ROFLOL!