The Family Estate

The Family Estate

Thursday, August 12, 2010

Unite Or Die


I am doing some research for an historical project and came across this Revolutionary War Flag.  During the war each regiment of Minutemen would make their own flag representing their region and carry them proudly.  This was one such flag.  Similar to the "Don't Tread On Me" snake but divided in numbered segments.  It got me wondering what exactly the flag stood for... what were the 9 Principles and the 12 Values.

I did a little research today on the flag and found out this... the Minutemen believed in a core set of values and principles which differed from those of the King of England.  This base of core values helped shape our country and our Constitution.  The following were the Principles and Values that the founders of our country practiced and believed in... and risked and gave their lives in the pursuit of...


9 Principles

1. America is good.
2. I believe in God and He is the Center of My Life.
3. I must always try to be a more honest person than I was yesterday.
4. The family is sacred.  My spouse and I are the ultimate authority, not the government.
5. If you break the law you pay the penalty.  Justice is blind and no one is above it.
6. I have the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, but there is no guarantee of equal results.
7. I work hard for what I have and I will share it with who I want to.  Government cannot force me to be charitable.
8. It is not un-American for me to disagree with authority or to share my personal opinion.
9. The government works for me.  I do not answer to them, they answer to me.

12 Values

1. Honesty
2. Reverence
3. Hope
4. Thrift
5. Humility
6. Charity
7. Sincerity
8. Moderation
9. Hard Work 
10. Courage
11. Personal Responsibility
12. Gratitude

I do not speak for anyone but myself and my family... but I still abide by these core principles and values.  I didn't know it... I didn't know that I was carrying on the tradition of my fore-fathers in my daily life... in the raising of my children... in the way I embrace the world... in the way I participate in my community... in the way I treat the people around me... my fellow Americans. Now that I know what they believed when they formed this country I feel honored to bless their memory by continuing this tradition.  I will hang a copy of this flag in my home, my office and anywhere else I can as a daily reminder to honor not only their memory but the efforts of our current military in continuing to fight for our freedom and the freedom of others to follow the same core values and principle... even if they believe in another God... even if they honor another flag.

I cannot tell you how much this history project means to me.  Since I have begun my research I have learned so much about our history and about myself. I take joy and pleasure every day in my work and cannot wait until the project is finished and I can share it.  


3 comments:

lifebythehandful said...

Great post! I am finding the older I get the more I am appreciating history. I think I will follow suit and find this flag and post the Principals and Values alongside. Thanks for sharing.

Anonymous said...

SEO
very handyy, thanx a lot for this articdle -- This is hwta I was looking for.

"FAITH" said...

Great post Penni, More people should read up on this and learn more about what our fore-fathers stood for.