The Family Estate

The Family Estate

Monday, November 17, 2008

Little Projects for the simple life

A blog friend of mine mentioned today that she changes her sheets to match her quilts on her bed. I guess she brought up the subject because someone at work made fun of her for being detailed. I told her she was my hero. I wish my house was decorated like that. As I said to my friend Kim, the sheet color selections at COSTCO are limited or I would have matching sheets too. But sadly, since I have four "men" living in my house we have to make things easy. I do make matching/coordintating pillowcases for my bed quilts now. Really out of necessity because men make the bed and fluff the pillows differently that women do. It makes it easy on the men to fold the quilt up to the top and lay the pillows on it at the head board. Here is a photo omy newest creation. Using my embroidery sewing machine I monogram each one on both sides (before I fold the bands in half so the stitches are on the inside). I use a serger for construction, and sewing machine for topstitching and the embroidery machine for the monograms.

These pillowcases were made to go with a Christmas Quilt that believe it or not I have yet to finish. It was just on old BOM from Guild but my Guild friends are very talented so the blocks are beautiful. As luck would have it, they also match a rather pretty red and green bed quilt with our estate name on it (Hunter's Greene). These are easy patterns and I know that you have all seen them completed in theme colors and cute novelties but it's nice sometimes to have fancy too. Of course, somehow the boys manage to wiggle their pillows out of the cases and so now I will have to make enclosed cases for them (probably with an envelope back).
Here is another project that I worked on for a day.

Here is a new "inspiration" board for the loft. Hubby will eventually hang it (horizontal) on the peak ceiling over the sewing machines. It's anybody's guess when that will be but my part is complete at least. I needed a place to put some images that I have been using for inspiration for new designs. I found this old remant in the closet and picked up some ribbon at the craft store. It is almost too pretty to cover up with stuff. It was fun and easy to make in the loft.
I have noticed lately that many of you are looking for little "gifty" ideas for that holiday that I won't name 'cause I am afraid it will creep closer. I bought a couple of books the other day.


This one is Sew and Stow by Betty Oppenheimer

And this one is In Stitches by Amy Butler. I have been searching for little projects that I can complete quickly for gifts for friends and family. Now all I need is the time to complete them. That is in much shorter supply. Today I spent half of the day organizing all of the Popcorn sales for our CubScout pack. Not an easy feat. But I managed to make amazing progress for the day and so I thought I would spend a few minutes chatting with you before I pick up the kids from the bus. Then it's off to homework, cleaning, piano lessons and one scout den meeting and then I can come home and go to bed... and start the same day all over again... tomorrow.
UNLESS... I have heard rumors that we will have "snow showers" tomorrow. I am not exactly sure what that means. He specifically said showers and not flurries. My luck... now that the house it actually looking better... the boys will be home from school tomorrow and I will have to start all over again on Wednesday. Wish me luck... Right now I could use some of those Santa Anna winds.
Our thoughts and prayers go out to all of you in the effected areas of California. Hubby and I lost our home to a fire in 1999 (many articles were written about our struggles, Smart Money magazine, Reader's Digest, etc.). It was the week of Big Boy's 1st birthday. It isn't any fun to watch your house burn to the ground and experience the year's of loss afterwards. You are in our prayers and it will all work out in the end. I know that doesn't helo much today... but it will. Keep the faith.
Posted by Picasa

No comments: