The Family Estate

The Family Estate

Sunday, January 11, 2009

Motivationally Challenged

OK here is the deal. I can't seem to get into the loft and get any work done. This Christmas was wicked stressful and I seemed to be completely overwhelmed. I couldn't fugure out what seemed to have been bothering me. So I sat back and took stock of the messy house, the messy boys that were now home with me everyday for two weeks, the new dog (giant horse Gracie), the new puppy and a completely obsession relationship with facebook (which I completely blame my friend Amy for). Now it seems that I have so much to keep me busy that I can't do what I really need to do which is get motivated to actually work in the studio on my designs for Lancaster this year.

So I was wondering if any of you have any ideas about how to go about getting my groove back. Today I managed to get more done in the house by leaving the headphones on and just ignoring everyone else. But I would prefer to get lost in the sewing right now and not the cleaning. Any help you guys can offer would be greatly appreciated.

4 comments:

MichelleB said...

I recently read somewhere that in order to get in the mood (or want) to do something, start doing it! That does seem to help. Then there's always FlyLady's philosophy - you can do anything for 15 mins. Take your pick. And then let me know if it works!

As for Facebook - my daughter tried to sign me up today because a couple of my friends have contacted her, looking for me. I wouldn't let her sign me up. Just what I need - one more distraction in my life.

Sheila said...

The internet is my greatest timesuck even without belonging to Facebook and Myspace. I have to make deals with myself--do *this* before getting online--and soon I'm immersed in *this* and don't give the computer a second thought. It is a choice, just like everything in life.

Kim said...

Uh . . . run away from home?! ROFLOL! Personally, I like to get the house cleaned up before I can really get motivated with creating, but then since being creative is your "job," I think the same thing doesn't really apply to you. What about treating it like an outside job and setting aside certain hours? That's a tough question, though!

lifebythehandful said...

I am in the same boat. It seems having everyone home for two weeks has made me lose momentum. It doesn't help that I am seriously preoccupied with blogs, facebook, and recipe websites. (As I wrote that I realized what a geek I have become.) My advice, screw the housework, the boys will just make it messy again and don't invite anyone over. :) Good luck!